What is the Learner Support Fund for Childcare?
The Fund helps students who have difficulties meeting the costs of their childcare whilst attending classes. The money for childcare is given to the College by the Education and Skills Funding Agency. For eligible students, a percentage of their childcare costs can be paid by the Fund. Funds awarded by the College are paid directly to the childcare provider. Wherever possible, funds awarded by the College are paid directly to the relevant third party, not the student.
Learner Support Fund Application Form
Who can apply for Childcare Funds?
Barnet and Southgate College students who are aged 20 or over on 1st September, have paid for and are attending at least one course of 3 hours or more a week and 4 weeks a year that is funded by the Education and Skills Funding Agency AND
- are a ‘Home’ student or a ‘European Economic Area’ student OR
- are a Home student for fees purposes OR
- have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain, or Humanitarian Protection, or Full Refugee Status by the Home Office OR
- have applied for Asylum to the Home Office or have been refused and are being supported by ASPEN and have been resident in the UK for 6 months
AND one of the following:
- A student who receives a Means Tested Benefit. These are; Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit based on a household gross income of £21,000 or less per year, Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, OR
- A student who is a Recognised Dependant of someone who receives a Means Tested Benefit, OR
- A student who is in receipt of Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right, OR
- A student who is in their own right, or is a recognised dependant of someone, on a low gross income (less than £21,000 a year).
Please note, if you are under 20 years and would like to apply for childcare support you need to apply to Care To Learn.
Care to Learn
- Funds for all young parents studying or training in England are administered centrally by Manchester Education Authority under the brand Care To Learn.
- Students aged under 20 years on 1st September who require funds to help pay for registered childcare whilst they are studying at Barnet and Southgate College must apply directly to Care To Learn.
Who cannot apply for Childcare Funds?
If any of the following apply to you or your course, you cannot apply for Childcare Funds:
- Any individual who does not meet the criteria in the section above.
- Students aged 16-19 years (apply to Care 2 Learn instead; please see above).
- Students on Adult Community Learning (ACL) courses, Modern Apprentice students, Foundation Degree students, students who do not meet the criteria for ‘home’ fees, students who are Prisoners on day release and students who are eligible to receive support through Additional Learning Support (ALS).
- Students who received funds last year and left their course before the end.
- Students that have a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (see link to 19+ Advanced Learner Loans Bursary at top of this page).
Criteria for Childcare Funding
- You must be aged 20 or over to receive childcare funds.
- If you received any form of funding in 2017-2018, the course you are enrolled in for 2018-2019 must be at least one level higher than the course you completed last year.
- If you received any form of funding in 2017-2018 and did not complete your course, you are not eligible to receive any funding this year until you have repaid all previous funds received.
- We will only fund childcare for the days you are timetabled to attend classes.
- We will only fund childcare for children up to 12 years old.
Amount we may provide towards your Pre-school Childcare costs
- We will usually fund up to 100% of the cost of your childcare dependant on your timetable. The maximum award for a full time student is £175 per week. If your childcare costs are greater than £175 per week you will have to pay the rest.
- If your child is in nursery, they will be eligible for a Nursery Education Grant the term following their third birthday. In this case, the maximum award is £135. If your childcare costs are greater than £135 per week you will have to pay the rest.
Amount we may provide towards your After-School Care costs
- We will usually fund up to 100% (dependant on your timetable) of the cost of your childcare
Getting Started – Application
In order to receive Childcare support whilst studying at Barnet and Southgate College you need to:
- Complete a Learner Support Fund Application Form.
- Take your completed application form, supporting documents and bank statement to the Admissions Advisors in Customer Services located by the reception area at each campus; they will check eligibility, all documents and give you a receipt.
- This must be done before the deadline date shown on the application form.
- You will receive by post or email a letter to confirm if you have been successful in your application.
- The amount we will pay for your childcare costs and the timing of payments will be detailed in your confirmation letter.
- Payments will be made directly to your childcare provider.
- Payments will depend on attendance of at least 80%. Where attendance is unsatisfactory, payments will be either withheld or reclaimed.
- The College reserves the right to reclaim monies paid to students where information given on the application form is found to be false.
- The College reserves the right to reclaim monies paid to students where the student has withdrawn before the end of the course.