Vocational qualifications give you specialist, practical skills, knowledge and understanding of a specific job area.
- • Lots of theory and written work, but some practical, hands-on tasks too
- • Employability and work experience opportunities
How long does a BTEC last?
- • Level 1 = 1 year
- • Level 2 = 1 year
- • Level 3* = 2 years
* Level 3 is equivalent to 3 A Levels
How is a BTEC assessed?
Most BTECs are assessed through coursework, although, on some subjects there are now some external assessment requirements.
Can I study anything else with a BTEC?
- • Possibly GCSEs in English/maths or functional skills
- • Possibly A Levels with a BTEC Level 3
Who might vocational qualifications be suitable for?
- • Those who have an idea about their future career and the subject area they need to study
- • Those who are better at coursework than exams
- • Those who wish to keep Higher Education as an option (after Level 3)